How to get a Visa to the US?

Miami immigration attorney Oleg Otten - How to get a visa to the US

How to get a visa to the US?

Many of our clients want to visit the US to study, work, attend a conference, conduct some business, or just go to the beach, shop, and visit Disney World. Temporary visas let foreigners apply for entry to the US for a temporary period of time and for a specific purpose. Contact Miami immigration attorney to learn how to get a visa to the US, and which visa is the most appropriate for your situation.

At the border, an immigration officer decides whether to admit the non-immigrant visa holder to the U.S. in the particular immigration status indicated on the visa. How long someone can be admitted to the U.S. depends on immigration status the person is admitted under. A person admitted in one status can often change the status while in the U.S. to stay longer for a different purpose. For example, someone admitted to go to school may want to change his or her immigration status to a work visa, once the international student graduates and finds a job (assuming the employer is willing to sponsor him or her). Several types of non-immigrant visas allow visitors to extend their status which mean extending their stay in the U.S.

How can a Miami immigration attorney help me get a visa to the US?

Licensed immigration lawyer can help you choose the visa category that is right for you and help you with the paperwork. Miami immigration attorney can also assist you in the process of changing status from your current category to the new category. Sometimes, an experienced immigration lawyer can also explain how to get a visa and work authorization for your dependent family members.

Which temporary visa should I choose?

L-1 Intracompany Transfers

The L-1 visa was established for multinational companies to transfer high-level and other important employees from oversees to the United States. The non-immigrant would work at the affiliate or subsidiary of that same employer in the U.S. in a managerial, executive, or specialized knowledge capacity.

H-1B Specialty Occupation

The H-1B visa is a non-immigrant visa used by a foreign worker who will be employed temporarily in a specialty occupation or as a fashion model of distinguished merit and ability. Under current law, there is an annual limit of 65,000 H-1B visas with up to 20,000 additional H-1B slots available to graduates of U.S. master’s degree programs.

E-1 Treaty Traders

The E-1 visa allows a foreigner to enter the United States to trade between his or her country and the United States. The home country of the non-immigrant must have a treaty with the United States.

E-2 Treaty Investor

The E-2 visa allows a foreign investor to come to the United States to develop and manage a business in which he or she invested substantial amount of money. An employee of a treaty trader investor may also be qualified as an E visa holder if the non-immigrant will be performing duties that require special qualifications essential to the business. In addition, the non-immigrant must have the same nationality as the foreign employer, and the home country of the non-immigrant must have a treaty with the United States.

TN NAFTA Professionals

TN visa allows citizens of Canada and Mexico (which are part of NAFTA) to work in the United States in preplanned business activities for U.S. or foreign employers. Permanent residents of Canada and Mexico cannot apply for TN visas.

O-1 Individuals of Extraordinary Ability or Achievement

Miami immigration lawyer can help highly talented or acclaimed foreign nationals to obtain an O visa. Many different types of individuals who may qualify for this visa: entertainers and athletes, scientists and businessmen, high-end chefs and Spanish jamón geneticists.

P-1 Performing Entertainers and Athletes

P visas are available to internationally known athletes and entertainment groups. Often, sports teams file P-petitions for their players. Performing artists who fall under a reciprocal exchange program may receive a P-2 visa. P-3 visas are applicable to culturally unique entertainers.

B-1 Business Visitors

Generally, foreigners wishing to visit the United States for business must first obtain a B-1 visa. Use services only of a licensed immigration attorney for help with how to get a US visa.

B-2 Tourists

B-2 visitor visas are nonimmigrant visas for people who want to enter the United States temporarily for tourism, pleasure, or visiting friends or relatives. If a person is planning to do both business and tourism in the US, then a combination B1/B2 visa is available.

F-1 Student

International students attending an academic or an English language program at a US college or university, generally, apply for F-1 student visas. To maintain legal status, F-1 students must keep the minimum course load for full-time students and comply with other F-1 requirements.

J-1 Cultural Exchange

J visa is for the Exchange Visitors or “cultural exchange” in general. J-1 is for foreigners approved to participate in various exchange visitor programs. Contact Miami immigration attorney with your questions on how to get a visa to the US.

Email Miami Immigration Attorney directly: info@ottenlawfirm.com

To schedule a consultation, please visit Legal Consultation page

Additional Resources:

The U.S. State Department publishes a Visa Bulletin to provide an updated waiting list (also known as Priority Date) for immigrants that are subject to the quota system.

The U.S. State Department has a detailed list of all immigrant and non-immigrant visas and visa categories.

The USCIS provides full information on Temporary Workers.

The IRS provides full information on taxation of nonresident aliens.

Miami immigration lawyer Oleg Otten